1.03.2005

community consultation - Transsexual and Transgender Rights

Dear Friends,

I am writing to you as the Member of Parliament for Burnaby Douglas, as well as in my position as the NDP critic for Canadian Human Rights.

As many of you may be aware I am intending to introduce a Private Member's Bill to amend the Canadian Human Rights Act. I am hoping that this amendment will specifically address the lack of protections that Transsexual and Transgender people have from experiences of discrimination and harassment under the Canadian Human Rights Act.

As part of this process I am holding community consultation sessions, as well as a national e-mail consultation on legislative priorities for the transsexual and transgender communities, as well as the best way to move forward on amending the Canadian Human Rights Act. I have held two community consultations, both in November 2004. One was in Ottawa and the other was in Vancouver.

Both events allowed me to meet with members and allies of the community, and to gain some understanding of what people see as the best way to move forward to ensure that transgender and transsexual people are ensured the rights they deserve.

I am now planning a consultation in Toronto, and would like to invite you.

The consultation will be on Saturday January 8, 2005 at the 519 Community Centre (located at 519 Church Street). The consultation will be held from 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. If you are interested in attending please RSVP to my assistant Corie Langdon at siksab1@parl.gc.ca or by phone at 604-291-8863.


I am also still accepting e-mail submissions from those of you who have been unable to make it to a consultation meeting. E-mail submissions can be sent to siksay.b@parl.gc.ca

I very much look forward to working together on this important and much needed legislative change with you. I hope you have a safe holiday and a happy new year.

Sincerely,

Bill Siksay, M.P
Burnaby-Douglas.

No comments: