2.10.2005

BC Health Guide Refers Gays to US Agencies

With the news of the Government Health website posting a list of mental disorders that includes Homosexuality, I recalled an earlier search I had conducted of the BCHealthGuideOnLine approximately a year ago. (BC some years ago contracted to an American based company, Healthwise to provide an online service called BCHealthGuideOnLine.)

I was looking to see what was listed for LGBTQ health issues. I was astounded to find that they listed an American help line resource, "Gay and Lesbian National Hotline". I called the BC Guide online and pointed this out to them. They informed me that the company was using an American Data base and that it would be updated soon. I left numbers for the The Centre (They provide an evening hotline for the GLBTQ community throughout BC) and several other local services around the province for them to add.

All other agencies that BCHealthGuideOnLine points you too for LGBTQ health related issues are American based as well. Most if not all are good resources, for Americans, but we have those services in BC. I would think that a BC Health Guide would refer people to health related services in BC. I have provided the list from the BC Health Guide below.

It has become clear to me that LGBTQ health issues are not on the radar for the Campbell Liberal government. In general the government has a poor record in addressing health concerns of the LGBTQ communities. It is extremely frustrating when the few resources that are out there are not listed.

Topic Contents (from BCHealthGuideOnline) If you want to check for yourself you will need a valid BC Postal Code. I suggest you use V8V 4X4, the same code the Premier uses.

COLAGE (Children Of Lesbians And Gays Everywhere)

Dignity/USA

International Foundation for Gender Education

National Gay and Lesbian Task Force

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)

Renaissance Transgender Association, Inc.

Society for the Second Self (Tri-Ess International)

Straight Spouse Network

Rainbow Room

Gay Men's Health Crisis

Family Pride Coalition


No comments: