10.21.2008

Daily Shame #6

Daily Shame #6

Republicans going for broke, which means gays in sites again...

Sarah Palin supports a Federal Marriage amendment defining marriage as being between a man and a woman. That's not a huge surprise to me or to many of you. In Alaska she and most of Alaska passed a State constitutional amendment doing just that.

What is really interesting and galling is the language the right wing religious leadership use and Sarah Palin has it down.



Here is the text of her response to David Brody during an interview on the Christian Broadcasting Network

Brody: On Constitutional marriage amendment , are, are you for something like that?

Palin: I am, in my own, state, I have voted along with the vast majority of Alaskans who had the opportunity to vote to amend our Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I wish on a federal level that that's where we would go because I don't support gay marriage. I'm not going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can't do, should and should not do, but I certainly can express my own opinion here and take actions that I believe would be best for traditional marriage and that's casting my votes and speaking up for traditional marriage that, that instrument that it's the foundation of our society is that strong family and that's based on that traditional definition of marriage, so I do support that.

"...I'm not going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can't do, should and should not do,..." When somebody is saying this you know they are judging. It a little like saying 'Obama's America is not our America'. The inference is clear.

On the good side of the issue ...I almost want to say thank god, but i will stick to thanks be to the universe for Biden's comments on proposition 8 in California. That effort to ban gay marriage in the State is funded by every holy roller and deep pocketed republican in the land. Its seen as a benchmark. If they can ban gay marriage in California, they can do it anywhere in America.

Biden said on The Ellen DeGeneres Show...

“that if he lived in California he would vote against a ballot measure that seeks to ban gay marriage. DeGeneres, who is gay and newly wed to actress Portia de Rossi, has urged Californians to reject Proposition 8. “I think it’s regressive. I think it’s unfair, and so I vote ‘no.’”


Check out No on 8

No comments: