10.28.2008

Quotes from all over

"...George W. Bush has spent tax dollars like Paris Hilton on a shopping binge -- even with a Republican Congress -- and that he's nationalizing banks faster than you can say "Hugo Chavez," but he still lauds the ideal of "limited government" and praises the "power of the free market." - Joshua Holland, AlterNet.

"At that time, the best thing was not to proclaim it," Stringfellow told ABCNews.com. "When it comes down to being a black man, oftentimes we are forced to make a decision, 'Is my community or family more important than my own well-being?' We choose to live in silence and play the role, living on the down low." - Roland Stringfellow is a former baptist minister explaining why he left town to come out of the closet

"When my loving parent walked me down the aisle last month and I legally married the woman I have shared my life with for almost 17 years, it didn't hurt your marriage or anyone else's. It didn't take away any church's tax-exempt status, and it didn't have any impact whatsoever on curriculum in California public schools. Instead, it gave me the same rights, protections and dignity enjoyed by straight folks. That's only fair." Lorri L. Jean is an attorney and chief executive of the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center. LA Times, October 28, 2008

"It has tainted everything for me," Oldham said, choking up during a telephone interview. "I am afraid to go there and hear people say mean things about gay people. I am in mourning. I don't know how long I can last." - Carol Oldham can't face one more sermon against same-sex marriage. She can't tolerate the glares at the rainbow pin on her lapel. Oldham, a lifelong Mormon, is troubled by her church's zeal in supporting a California ballot initiative that would define marriage as between one man and one woman. She feels the church is bringing politics into her sanctuary. - Salt Lake Tribune, October 26, 2008

"Until we make laws that make it clear these attacks are not OK, the nation will continue to be scarred," says Neil Giuliano, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. 19 states hate crime laws don't cover sexual orientation. USA Today on increase in hate crimes against gays

"I still love Canadians, but it's made me realize that fear and homophobia exist in Canada, just as in the US and other countries." Alex Sanchez, author of books on high school and coming out, on his trip to speak to students in New Brunswick. Xtra.ca

No comments: