6.14.2011

Starbucks, Triple Venti Non justice topped with Blatant Homophobia

I came across this post tonight while I avoided the Vancouver Canucks Boston tea party.  I like Starbucks and the anti - big corporist in me always chastises me as I cross the threshold of one of their many many stores.  I admit I love their cofeee and their efforts for a better world one cannot miss when you enter.

My usual Starbucks is on Church Street in Toronto. I have my doubts anything like the situation you are about to read about could happen here.  I mean its in the heart of what is left of the gay village in Toronto. That said not all Starbucks are in places that have to be nice to queer employees or clientèle.

I have printed off the open letter linked to below.  I am going to deliver copies of it to every Starbucks I go into over the next month, until something is done. I hope you can find time to at least write Starbucks or tell their staff about this on your next visit.  This should be easy to resolve. I don't think of Starbucks as homophobic in general, yet it appears some of the staff are.   No boycott needed, just a little interaction with your barista.

Here is an excerpt and link to the letter....

"Yesterday when I walked into your  Centereach, Long Island  location  I saw one of the most brazen and unapologetic displays of homophobia I have ever witnessed in my entire life.  What was most concerning about it was it was perpetuated by not one, not two but THREE of your employees and it was directed towards a fourth employee.  I don’t know this man, but I know his name is Jeffrey because the woman (who seemed to be in charge of this circus)  loudly scolded, spoke to in a condescending manner, humiliated, and then let go.  In the middle of your store. Two feet away from my table.   Then when Jeffrey, who was visibly shaken went to the bathroom to collect him self, the women at the table went on a long, ranting homophobic rant that lasted about five minutes. This rant transpired two feet away from my table where I sat with my daughter. A three year old child, with two mothers. I have never, in my entire life seem such a gross and unapologetic display of ignorance and intolerance. The most horrific aspect of it was that it was by someone that your corporation put into a position of power.  I have never, ever in ANY context seen ANYTHING so unprofessional in my entire life.  I was horrified that my daughter was exposed to that."

I Know Starbucks is Not an Anti-Gay, Homophobic Company (by Policy)…. BUT…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not homophobic?! Let me tell you my story. I was once subjected to verbal homophobic abuse by senior management at a Starbucks corporate function in Seattle. The ringleader and those who joined in were not fired. In fact, the ringleader protected by people very high up in the organisation. He went on to commit further such abuses and eventually had to go. Yes, they say they embrace diversity, but yes, I know that they also allow it to happen and continue. Profit over principles, naturally.